At this time of year we are bombarded with ideas, recipes and instructions on how to
prepare and serve the festive bird.
Here is a recipe for ‘left overs’. It can be served over rice or as a savoury bake with a cheese crumble (see October Forum) or as a pie filling.
• 50g butter
• 1 small onion peeled and chopped
• 1 red pepper cored, de seeded and chopped
• 225g button mushrooms left whole or sliced as you like
• 30g cornflour
• 300ml creamy milk
• 300g turkey or chicken stock
• 500g cooked turkey diced or shredded.
• 2 tablespoons of dry sherry
• fresh parsley if available or a teaspoon of dried tyme
• salt and pepper
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and gently fry the onion until transparent then add the pepper and mushrooms, cook for a further few minutes until softened.
Sprinkle over the cornflour and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Add the milk and stock and stir bringing to the boil, cook for 5 minutes. Add the turkey, sherry and herbs. Season well and serve as above.
From Jane’s Kitchen. An eclectic collection
of seasonal recipes. Available from Leckford Farm Shop, Leckford and Chilbolton Village Stores