It’s a very good question, and with so many newcomers to Alresford over the past few years it’s one worth answering.
The Alresford Pigs Association started in the 1970s when a number of locals decided that they wanted to provide financial help for people in the town who needed it. Since then hundreds of people and organisations have benefited from donations and support.
We raise money by organising or contributing to community events such as:
• Taking entry fees, manning the gates & acting as security
support at the annual Alresford Show
• Organising traffic control at the annual Watercress Festival
• Organising the bi-annual Duck Race (next one June 2019)
• Working with the Alresford Chamber of Commerce to erect,
maintain and remove the towns spectacular Christmas trees
• Working with the Alresford Tree Committee to organise the
arrival of Father Christmas
We consider any request for financial support from within the town to local clubs, organisations, individuals and good causes – relying upon the local community to inform us where our help is required.
It is impossible to list all of the requests for help we have supported down the years, but these include:
• Organisations such as the scouts, guides, sports and
• Local schools for specific projects
• School children unable to pay for school trips
• Single families needing white goods
• Families who need support that cannot be provided
by other services
• Mobility scooters – we have our own fleet!
• Park benches
• Senior residents events and activities
The Pigs are relatively small in number and all members either live or work in the town. With an emphasis upon participation & fun we welcome new members, with the membership process started by recommendation from any one of our existing members.
We are always seeking needy causes to support so do you need our help or do you think YOU can help?
Phone us: 01962-658961
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Write to us: PO Box 121, Alresford, SO24 9XX
Please get in touch. We’re waiting to hear from you.