The Rotary Club of Bishops Waltham(BW) was first chartered in 1989. The club currently has 29 members drawn from various walks of life, and from BW, Waltham Chase, Swanmore, Shirrell Heath, Upham, Durley, Fair oak, and surrounding areas. The Club welcomes both men and women as members
BW Rotary is part of the world-wide organisation of Rotary International with some 33,000 clubs in 200 countries around the world and a total membership in excess of 1.2 million.
We hold our weekly meetings on Thursday evenings at The East Horton Golf Club, Mortimer’s Lane, Fair Oak, East Leigh, Hampshire, SO50 7EA. There is no compulsion to attend all meetings.
Meetings are arranged as follows:
- First, second and third Thursdays in the month are short informal meetings starting at 7.30 P.M. where the Club’s business matters are discussed along with planning for events.
- The fourth Thursday in the month involves a dinner starting at 7.30 P.M, where we usually have an external speaker on subjects of general interest, or other local or national charities.
- When there is a fifth Thursday in the month, this is devoted to a social meeting with partners
The business of the Club is managed and regulated by the Club Council, and various Club Committees. During the past Rotary year, the Club has donated around £20,000 to local, national and International Charitable causes.
We are twinned with the Rotary Club of Nantes Jules Verne in France, and have visits with their Club every two years.
Our major fund-raising events are:
- The annual BW Carnival which, includes a procession through the streets and arena events: a full day of fun activities for the local community.
- The annual Fun Run, is another service to the community, as well as raising funds. It’s an attractive road race for extreme athletes as well as family runners.
- At Christmas, whatever the weather, we take Roger the engine around the local streets broadcasting carols. Locals always say that Christmas hasn’t arrived until the BW Rotary carols are heard.
Yeoman’s Yearbook is an annual Classic Vehicle event directory on line, covering the Southern Counties of England and South Wales below the line drawn from the Wash to Aberystwyth, and contains month-by-month listings of classic and historic vehicle events. It is maintained by Bishops Waltham Rotary Club and any profits go to Rotary Charities.
For more information, please visit: www.bishopswalthamrotary.org.uk